Gas fireplace logs are a great alternative if you do not want to deal with the hassle of a real wood burning fire.
They provide a convenient source of warmth and the feel of a real fire. They are perfect to cozy up to and help to create a relaxing and comfortable ambiance.
The logs can be used in vented, ventless, or vent-free fireplace. Below we have reviewed and provided a suggested buying guide for the top 12 best sellers for fireplace log inserts, and have named the best gas log set that you can place in your fireplace or firebox.
We have included pros and cons of each type of fireplace log set we also named our favorite gas log as our Editor’s Choice.
There are many different brands of log inserts that you can swap out your existing wood with, and we’ve included and compared both vented gas fireplace logs and vent free gas log set in our reviews.
12 Best Gas Fireplace Logs:
Here are the 12 best gas log inserts:
|Gas Fireplace Logs Model||Dimensions||Weight||Price|
|Sure Heat, BRO18NG Burnt River Oak Gas Fireplace Log Sets (18-Inch)|
|12 x 18 x 16||43.6 lbs|
|Sure Heat, BRO24NG Burnt River Gas Fireplace Logs (24-Inch)||12 x 24 x 17||61.5 lbs|
|Barton, Petite Ceramic Wood Effect Gas Fireplace Logs||16.8 x 10.3 x 10||7.65 lbs|
|Peterson Real Fyre, Live Oak Gas Fireplace Logs||20 x 2 x 2||1.2 lbs|
|Emberside by SureHeat, Mountain Vernon Oak Gas Fireplace Logs||23.5 x 15.5 x 17||37 lbs|
|Sure Heat, SH18DBNG Seasoned Hickory Gas Fireplace Logs||12 x 19 x 16||50.1 lbs|
|Regal Flame, 10-Piece Ceramic Wood Large Gas Fireplace Logs||12 x 10 x 10||1 lb|
|Regal Flame, 9-Piece Ceramic Wood Petite Gas Fireplace Logs||5 x 5 x 5||1 lb|
|Sure Heat, CS30DBNG Country Split Oak Gas Fireplace Logs||14.5 x 30 x 14.5||70 lbs|
|Peterson Real Fyre, 18-Inch Post Oak Gas Fireplace Logs||22.5 x 16 x 8.2||44.9 lbs|
|Stanbroil, 10-Piece Ceramic Wood (Small) Gas Fireplace Logs||16.1 x 8.9 x 2.8||1.85 lbs|
|Regal Flame, 8-PieceCeramic Wood (Medium) Gas Fireplace Logs||12 x 4 x 8||1 lb|
These gas fireplace logs from Sure Heat are 18 inches are come in packs of 8. These Sure Heat gas log fireplace inserts are hand painted ceramics logs stacked on to a tiered grate.
The ceramic is made in such a way that the embers glow twice as bright as other logs so it looks more like a real wood burning fire.
The Sure Heat logs are designed to fit in fireplaces that are 28 inches wide at the front, 24 inches at the back, and that have a depth of 14 inches.
- These logs just look more realistic than any other logs that could be inserted into a gas fireplace
- The logs are brighter than other brands
- Long lasting logs that are great value for money
- Buy a separate hook up kit as the one included in the pack is not good enough to do the job
- These logs will emit fumes the first times they are used but should go away after being used
The Sure Heat BRO24NG logs are very similar to the 18 inch version, they essentially just 6 inches longer.
The Sure Heat BRO24NG is made from the same hand painted ceramic, which means that the embers glow at least twice as bright as other logs do.
The main difference between the 24 inch version and the 18 inch version is that you can convert the larger logs into being used with propane gas by using a safety pilot kit and a vermiculite.
These logs are made to fit in fireplaces that are 32 inches wide at the front, 24 inches at the back, and that have a depth of 15 inches.
In many ways I prefer the vented Sure Heat BRO24NG logs to the ventless gas fireplace logs. As the 24 inch is an extended version of the 18 inch the embers do seem to glow twice as bright as the logs made by rivals.
- The flame height and effect looks really good
- It is easy to convert them to propane gas
- High quality ceramic and hand painted
- 60,000 BTU
- The flames only look realistic on higher settings
- Need to open the flue for at least 20 minutes after putting the fire out to clear the fumes
This is a 10 piece log set with 5 different sizes ranging from 10 inches to 15.3 inches in length.
The Barton gas log fireplace insert is designed to look like an imitation of brown wood.
It can be safely used with a variety of fuels including propane, ethanol, gel as well as with vent free gas fireplace logs.
We admire how versatile the Barton Fireplace logs are, being able to use them with a range of different fuels and fireplaces.
Whatever you combine the Barton logs with they also look good, and have a realistic look of a wood fire.
It is a good all round set of logs, and having different sizes makes it look more real than having uniform sized logs in the fireplace.
- This log set allows you to mix up the sizes in the fireplace
- It is good that these prefabricated logs can be use for a venting fireplace, Outdoor fireplaces, indoor gas fireplaces, direct vent, zero clearance, natural gas, gel, standard fire pits, fake fireplaces, electric fireplace inserts, propane fireplaces, existing fireplace, etc.
- The logs are well made
- It can take time to up the logs to look like wood logs but it is worth the effort
- These logs retain heat after the fire has been switched off so could need replacing sooner
The Peterson Real Fyre gas fireplace logs are higher quality reinforced with steel rods meticulously hand painted finish.
These gas log fireplace insert are a little more expensive yet are definitely worth because of their higher quality.
I really like this vented option, they look as good as any ventless log set. These logs really do have fine quality details, and are expertly painted, they look good as soon as the fire is lit.
- The details are finely painted on each log
- Logs are sturdy because of the steel rods
- You certainly get the extra quality you pay for
- These logs are for indoor use only
- Check the length of connection needed as the kit does not have a long cable
The Emberside logs are six hand painted ceramics logs stacked on to a tiered grate and well presented.
Sure Heat state that this gas log fireplace insert is made in such a way that the embers glow twice as bright as other ventless gas fireplace logs.
As it is CSA approved it has the ability to warm up an area between 1200 and 1500 square foot with 99.9 % efficiency.
We do love the brightness that Sure Heat manage to achieve with their gas fireplace inserts and the Emberside is no exception to that rule.
We have noticed that the embers indeed glow twice as bright as the logs made by other companies.
We also liked the manual control system and the 100 % safe carbon monoxide and oxygen depletion system.
- High quality ceramic and hand painted logs
- The embers are brighter than other logs from rival firms
- Fuel type: The dual burner means that propane can be used instead of natural gas
- Poor quality packaging so risk being damaged in transit
- The connection kit is often not the right size
The Sure Heat Seasoned Hickory dual burner fireplace logs have all the high quality production that people have come to expect from this company.
The six parts of the gas log fireplace insert are all hand painted to meet their tough standards.
As it is vented you will need a connection kit unlike ventless gas fireplace logs that do not.
I am always impressed by the high standards that Sure Heat set for their logs as the Seasoned Hickory dual burner ticks all of the boxes like all of their products. I love the way that it recreates the appearance of a mature fire.
- Realistic looking fire
- Embers that are really bright
- Logs resemble a mature fire
- The connecting pipe is often too long
- The armature is difficult to bend without breaking
These logs are suitable for all types of indoor fireplaces. This set of gas log fireplace inserts can be used with propane, ethanol, electricity or gel plus all and vent free gas fireplace logs.
The 10 logs range in size from 10 inches to 15 inches in length. Can be used outdoors too.
We like the different sizes of the logs as that allows us the chance to get creative. These logs can be used
in any fireplace and fire pit and the arrangements will look good.
- These logs can be used in so many different fireplaces and fire pits
- You can mix up the sizes of the logs in the fireplace
- High class hand painted logs
- The lighter color logs do not look as realistic
- May start to flake after a few months
These Petite set of gas fireplace logs are suitable for all types of indoor fireplaces.
This set of gas log fireplace inserts can be used with propane, ethanol, electricity or gel plus all vent free gas fireplace logs.
The 10 logs range in size from 4 inches to 9 inches in length. These petite logs be used outdoors as well.
I like working with the various sizes of the logs as that allows me the chance to be inventive.
These logs can be used in any fireplace and fire pit and the arrangements will look great.
- The fires look real
- Can be creative
- Logs on many fireplaces
- Easily get covered in soot
- Buy 2 packs if you have a larger fireplace
The Country Split Seasoned Hickory dual burner gas fireplace logs have all the high quality production that people have come to expect from this company.
The six parts of the gas log fireplace insert are all hand painted to meet their high standards. As it is vented you will need a connection kit not like ventless gas logs, which do not.
We really liked the quality of these 30 inch gas logs, that look great on a larger fireplace.
- Realistic logs due to painting
- Great choice for larger fireplaces
- Good value for money
- Thin packaging so risk of damage in transit
- Connection kit is often the wrong size
The Peterson Real Fyre 18 inch Post Oak Gas Logs are higher quality, reinforced with steel rods, and meticulously hand painted finish.
The gas log fireplace insert are a little more expensive yet are definitely worth because of their higher quality.
I like these vented logs, as they look better than any ventless logs. These logs really do have fine quality details, expertly painted.
- Heavy construction to last longer
- Highest quality to buy
- Safe money if you already have a burner
- Logs get smothered in soot
- May not provide enough heat
- Good quality logs
- Adapts to surrounding fireplaces
- Looks good in all types of fireplaces
- Logs are not of a consistent quality
- Will need more packs for larger fireplaces
The production that people have come to expect from Stanbroil is seen in this range.
The 10 pieces of the gas log fireplace insert are all hand painted to meet their high standards. You will not need a connection kit to use with ventless logs.
We think that these little pieces of ceramic gas fireplace logs look good in all sorts of fireplaces.
These range in sizes from 3 to 8 inches in length.
This set of gas fireplace logs are suitable for all types of indoor fireplaces. These gas log fireplace inserts can be used with propane, ethanol, electricity or gel plus all ventless fireplace logs.
I think this range is of good quality and value
- High standard of logs
- Able to burn other fuels.
- Looks warm and cozy
- Poor packaging
- Poor quality of connection kit
Best Gas Log Fireplace Inserts – Buyer’s Guide:
As the demand for these fireplace inserts have increased over the years, a lot of companies have started producing fireplaces of their own that tend to come in handy with a viable set of specifications and features to provide you with the best possible experience.
However, from the list of the best fireplaces easily available in town, opting the one that suits best with your taste can prove to be a daunting task.
Therefore, a comprehensive buyer’s guide is being provided below that will help you to pick your best product out.
Follow through this buyer’s guide prior before purchasing to avoid any type of inconvenience in the future.
What is a Gas Fireplace Insert?
A gas fireplace insert comprises a traditional and average gas fireplace that comes in handy with a metallic firebox enclosed and surrounded by a steel coated case.
This design is especially layouted and textured like this so that it gets fit within the masonry fireplace comfortably and with ease.
The main purpose why these gas inserts were manufactured was to convert your average masonry fireplace to an efficient one.
A traditional fireplace tends to be low efficient and whenever they are operated, they pollute the environment.
But when this fireplace combines with the gas insert, the majority of the gas that’s produced within the procedure is contained inside the metallic casing, and then it’s gradually released in your living room, providing you with a profound warm experience.
Types Of Gas Fireplaces Vs Inserts:
Though the gas fireplaces and inserts are featured in a variety of types, however some of the best ones are mentioned below, that can prove to provide you with a profound experience.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Overall we felt that the best gas fireplace logs were the Sure Heat, BRO18NG Burnt River Oak Log Set (18-Inch). These logs burn brighter than other brands and they tend to last longer as well.
We liked the brightness of the embers produced by the logs and at that price these logs are great value for money.