When Jack Frost comes snipping at your nose, its time to turn up the heat. Yes, winter is here, and even if you’ve vowed to stay inside all season long, that doesn’t guarantee the cozy retreat you have been dreaming of. For most people, this means raising the temperature on the central heating system thermostat, and unfortunately, it might not be enough to take the edge off winter’s bite. Although it does not replace the traditional system, a space heater is a convenient way to quickly raise your room temperature and add warmth to any space.
A space heater is a portable appliance that generates heat by electricity or by burning kerosene or oil to warm a small area or room. Typically, it is used when the central heating system is inadequate or too costly to operate. It can also be used to increase the temperature of rooms used by individuals who are sensitive to cold such as the elderly. Available in a variety of sizes and styles, a room heater is often perceived to be cheaper to use, especially if you want to boost of the temperature of one room.
Generally, the capacity of room heater range between 10,000 Btu and 40,000 Btu per hour and commonly run on natural gas, propane, kerosene, and electricity. Some come with unique features such as digital control and automatic oscillation for more convenience during the operation.
How do space heaters work?
Space heaters heat you and the room you are occupying in two ways: radiation and convection. Radiant heaters emit infrared emissions that directly heat the objects and the people within their line of sight. Usually, they mimic the heat of the sun and require less energy to run. This makes them suitable for warming people in poorly insulated rooms or outdoors while allowing more distance between the people and the heater.
On the other hand, convection happens when the air surrounding the heater is heated. Convection heaters usually pass electricity through a heating element, causing the air to become hot. Usually, the warm air rises toward the ceiling and thus pulling the surrounding air to the heater, which is also heated. This cycle continues, and eventually, the whole room gets heated up.
Benefits of Space Heaters
As the leaves start changing and colder weather approaches, you’re probably beginning to think about ways to stay warm during this winter. While others are other alternatives to keeping the house warm, space heaters have become an effective and convenient way of keeping a room warm during the winter. Although there are still concerns about how much energy a space heater can save or if they use a lot of electricity. However, one thing is clear; the advantages of using a space heater still outweigh the disadvantages. If you’re still wondering whether a space heater is an excellent choice for you, here are some of the benefits of owning one.
Forget about the thermostat. If you’re looking to cut down on heating bills, an electric space heater can be the solution. Unlike the central heating system, space heaters heat only the area where they’re placed. They work best in enclosed areas like the bedroom, dens, offices, and other cozy areas where the family gathers. For instance, if you work from home, you put one in the room you’re currently using and heat that room only. This goes a long way in lowering utility bills, using energy efficiency as well as limiting your home’s environmental impact. That is an excellent way to stay warm and say green.
Simple and easy to use
Space heaters are cheap, simple, and elegantly designed. When you want to use it, you need to plug it into a wall out in the room you’ll be using, turn it on, set the appropriate temperature you require and enjoy your warmth. Some heaters come with a remote control to let you adjust the heat and fan setting from a distance, for instance, when watching television. Others have a silent mode feature for a quieter heating experience just in case you’re doing something engaging like studying.
A space heater is very light weighted, which makes it easy to carry the heaters around. Many have handles that allow users to quickly pick up and transport the unit, making it an amazingly versatile and beneficial addition to all rooms in the house.
Great for Space-constrained areas.
Space heaters are an excellent solution to small spaces where extensive heating systems cannot be installed, such as a bedroom or bathroom. Also, the electric heaters can be put on the floor, on a table, or can even hang on a wall.
Easy to regulate temperature:
Space heaters have an adjustable thermostat that allows the user to set /adjust the temperature of the room according to their requirements.
Things to Know Before Buying a Space Heater
Choosing the right heater for your place is not an easy task because not all heaters are created equally. According to statics, space heater cause about one-fourth of all houses fire during the winter months and a whopping 80 percent fire deaths. Therefore you’ll need to ask yourself a few fundamental questions like will the heater be safe? Can it heat my space efficiently? What will be the running cost of the heater? To get to the bottom of these questions and more, let’s examine the top 5 things to look for in a space heater.
The first factor in when selecting a space heater is what type of heater you need. There are four primary types of space heater available in the market that include convection heaters, radiant heaters, fan-forced, and micathermic heaters. Each of these heaters works different and is suitable for different situations. For instance, radiant heaters deliver quick, spot heating in small spaces while convection heaters heat the room wholly and evenly, and thus they’re a bit slower. Therefore, selecting the appropriate type of heater for your application is a guaranteed way to maximize effective performance.
Space heaters can quickly turn into fire hazards if not properly monitored. For instance, when the heater accidentally falls over and the heating element ignites flammable carpet or curtains. However, manufacturers equip their electric heaters with safety features such as cool-to-the-touch surfaces and overheat protection. Some heaters have an internal sensor that helps the heater to automatically shut off the power in case it is accidentally knocked down. It is essential to purchasing a heater with these safety features, especially if you have small children playing around.
If you’re worried about utility bills skyrocketing, it is necessary to choose the right energy efficient space heater for your environment and the size of your space. The amount of energy an electric heater uses sorely depends on the wattage and model. However, you can opt to purchase heaters with an adjustable thermometer and programmable timers to help minimize power usage and contribute to economic operations.
Heating capacity entails the size of the space the heater will cover. The selection of a space heater should be made based on its size in accordance with your room size. Commonly, a room heater uses approximately 10 watts of heating power to heat each square foot of your space. Therefore a typical 1500-watt heater cans an average-sized room of 150 square feet. To make the right decision, consider if you’re going to be using the space heater to heat a bedroom, office, large or family room.
Best Space Heaters Review in 2019
Lasko 754200 Ceramic Portable Space Heater with Adjustable Thermostat
This compact space heater from Lasko brings 1500 watts of comforting warmth to your room. The classic design in silver comes with built-in safety features, including overheat protection and cool-touch exterior. With its adjustable thermostat with three quiet different temperature settings, you’re almost guaranteed to find the desired comforting warmth. Thanks to its compact size, the heater is highly portable and comes with a convenient carry handle that you can easily use to move it from one room to another. To make things even better, it happens when fully assembled and with a 3-year limited warranty and saves you the agony of having to go through the assembling manual a hundred times.
1500W / 750W Ceramic Space Heater with Overheat Protection & Tip-Over Protection
- Portable Heater: 3 Modes for choosing; 1500W / 750W / Cool Blow Fan
- Safety Assurance: Overheat Protection & Tip-Over Protection
- Adjustable Thermostat Control: Remain the temperature at a comfortable level
This powerful portable electric heater comes with adjustable thermostat control and three settings (high heat, low heat, and fan). The nine-inch-tall heater has safety features such as automatic overheat protection, light, and Hyland. The small heater measure 6.2″ x7″ x9.2″ making it ideal for indoor tents such as desk office room
Comfort Zone Oscillating Space Heater
- FAST, EFFICIENT HEATING: Our oscillating space heater uses a forced-fan circulation to heat as it rotates from side to side, quickly & evenly warming an entire room while maintaining a consistent temperature.
- ETL CERTIFIED & BUIT TO BE SAFE: In addition to being ETL Certified, this unit includes an overheat protection sensor and an automatic fail-safe that cuts power to the unit if it's accidentally tipped over.
- OPTIMAL COMFORT: A digital thermostat prevents overheating & stuffiness, while an 8-hour timer with auto shutoff allows you to program the unit in advance to maintain a steady comfortable temperature.
This digital ceramic heater is from a reliable, trusted brand, and it is compelling. It adds up to 1500W and features an oscillation function and thus can warm you up in seconds. The product comes with a 24-hour digital timer, LCD-display, and remote control. It has high/low/eco three modes setting, including energy-efficient one to ensure your needs are well taken care of. This heater weighs approximately 5 pounds and features a carry handle, which makes it easy to move from one room to another. One advantage of this heater over the others is that its almost noiseless, so you can comfortably use it while sleeping.
Aikoper Space Heater
- 【 Meet Your Heating Needs】Maximum 1500w power and 2 heat settings provide efficient heat into every part of the room that needs constant heat in cold weather. Temperature adjustment by 1°F interval allows you to customize your preference temperature.
- 【Get Instant Warmth】This ceramic tower heater warms the air around you by creating a mild current of heat,quickly heat-up with ceramic heating technology, ideal for getting rid of the cold instantly. Requiring no assembly and a carry handle allow portable use.
- 【LOWER YOUR ENERGY BILLS】 ECO setting allows the heater turning on/off automatically by comparing the room tempreture with setted tempreture, which could maximum opitimize your energy consumption.
Get instant warmth from this ceramic tower heater by Aikoper. The device features an eco setting, which allows the heater to turn on-off automatically by comparing the room temperature with the set temperature. If you’re conscious about your utility bills skyrocketing, this is the best option for you. It is also backed up with safety features such as auto shut off, which provides reliable tip-over and overheats protection. This makes it safer for families with kids or pet s that can accidentally trip on it. The heater has a maximum 1500 W power and up to 8-hours timer.
FFDDY Space Heater
- 【STAY WARM & COMFORTABLE】 Are you still afraid of staying cool rooms when the winter comes around? This portable space heater is made for those chilly days in your house or at your office. The compact size provides effective, consistent warmth and won't get in the way. Stay warm and comfortable in nearly any space when the weather turns for the worst once you pick up this portable ceramic heater!
- 【FAST HEAT UP IN 2 SECONDS】 Our space heater employs heating element which has the advantages of fast heating, high heat conversion rate and energy-saving. Turn it on and feel warm air blown to you in 2 seconds. 750W or 1500W for your choice. With Fan function you can also enjoying speeding up to getting warm.
- 【OVERHEAT & TIP-OVER PROTECTION】 The digital ceramic heater is equipped with automatic overheat protection for added safety. This portable space heater automatically shuts off once the heater internal components reach a certain temperature that could cause overheat. This indoor ceramic heater also has a tip-over safety switch, which shuts the heater off if it gets knocked over accidentally to help prevent accidents.
This modern-looking space heater packs 1500 watts into a compact design. It includes a mechanical ceramic element; along with automatic overheat protection for maximum safety. The device has three heats setting to help you maintain your ideal temperature. The space heater is small in size and thus easy to move around and carry it around, making it perfect for home or office use. The heater is very affordable to buy
Lasko 755320 Ceramic Space Heater
- 2 Quiet Settings - including high heat and low heat plus an Auto setting make this electric space heater ideal for warming up an area in your home or home office. With widespread oscillation this heater distributes warm air throughout the room
- Adjustable Thermostat - with digital display allows you to adjust the heater's 1500 watt ceramic heating element. With an easy to read digital temperature display you can select a wide range of temperatures in Fahrenheit or Celsius
- Remote Control & Built-in Timer - allows you to adjust the heater's temperature, timer, oscillation and more from a distance. While the easy to program timer allows you to select 1 hour to 8 hours, in 1 hour intervals
This compact space heater from Lasko brings 1500 watts of comforting warmth to your room. The classic design in silver comes with built-in safety features, including overheat protection and cool-touch exterior. With its adjustable thermostat with three quiet different temperature settings, you’re almost guaranteed to find the desired comforting warmth. Thanks to its compact size, the heater is highly portable and comes with a convenient carry handle that you can easily use to move it from one room to another. To make things even better, it happens when fully assembled and with a 3-year limited warranty and saves you the agony of having to go through the assembling manual a hundred times